Healthy Back-to-school Snacks
- Dip banana pieces in yogurt and roll in crushed cereal. Freeze.
- Fill celery sticks with peanut butter or cream cheese. Add raisins if you’d like.
- Slice an apple and dip in peanut butter.
- Serve low-fat vanilla yogurt with granola or fruit pieces, such as strawberries or blueberries.
- Use pretzel sticks to make mini fruit and cheese kabobs. Grapes and cubed cheese work well.
- Combine low-fat milk, frozen strawberries, and banana pieces in a blender to make a smoothie.
- Sprinkle cheese on a corn or flour tortilla and microwave for 20 seconds. Dip in salsa.
- Toast a whole grain waffle and top with low-fat yogurt and fruit, or peanut butter.
- Sandwich a dip of frozen yogurt and banana slices between two graham crackers.
- Make your own trail mix by mixing together ready-to-eat cereal, dried fruit, and nuts.
- Add graham cracker pieces and a few miniature marshmallows to low-fat chocolate pudding
- Make a mini pizza by toasting an English muffin and topping it with pizza sauce and low-fat mozzarella cheese.
- Make a sandwich roll-up by spreading mustard on a flour tortilla, adding a slice or two of ham or turkey, and rolling it up.
These ideas came from the American Dietetic Association.
Image credit: belchonock / 123RF Stock Photo