Sell Your Stuff: Tips for a Successful Yard Sale – Part 2
In Part 1, we gave you tips for planning your date and location, choosing your sale items, and pricing your items. Now, we offer tips on advertising and organizing your sale!
- Place ads in your local paper, on community bulletin boards, and by telling friends and family.
- Add your sale to Craigslist.com because your listing will show up on the online Yard Sale Treasure Map, a real-time app for mobile phones.
- If you make your own signs, use neon poster board and thick black permanent markers.
- For a cheap freestanding sign, write on brown paper grocery bags, fill the bottom with rocks to hold them down, and place them strategically to direct customers to your sale.
- Make sure your ads include date, time, address, and a couple of big ticket items to attract customers.
Set-up and Organize
- Don’t forget change and a money box or bag. Guard it carefully.
- Remove all obstacles in your yard to avoid trips and falls. Tape down cords, and keep your pets in safe areas where they are out of the way.
- Use tables or shelves to neatly display items. Most shoppers won’t dig through boxes or piles.
- Organize clothing by gender and size.
- Keep an extension cord and extra batteries handy for customers to test items.
- Have a table or two just for the men who tag along with their wives. When husbands are occupied, the wives have more time to shop!
- Post a sign that says “All Sales Are Final” to avoid hassles later.
That’s not all! Get more great tips by reading Part 3 of this article!