Top 5 Tips for Selling Your Property Fast and for Top Dollar
As the holidays have unwrapped and the New Year is upon us, many Richmond, VA homeowners will be turning their attention to the real estate market and look to sell their property in the spring. Just as you plan months in advance for the wonderful holidays, you want to do the same to prepare your house for its first impression. Here are my top 5 tips for selling your property fast and for top dollar:
- Hire a professional real estate agent now. Although you may not plan to put your house on the market until March, a knowledgeable and experienced Realtor will help you map out a game plan so you can hit a home run!
- Take inventory and clear out unwanted or unused items. While moving may seem somewhat daunting, it is also very cathartic. This is the perfect opportunity to clean out your closet, basement, and other “catch-all” areas and make a tax-deductible donation to a local charity. In addition to simplifying, you will save money, as it is less for the movers to haul!
- De-clutter and depersonalize. Now that the bigger items are out of the way, your focus shifts to making your home a house. When a buyer tours your property, they want to envision their memories on the wall and their children’s pictures hanging from the refrigerator. While your antique doll or sports collection is certainly important to you, they will be a distraction to a potential buyer. Pack them for safekeeping and remember you will be able to enjoy them again in your new home! Come To Order can help you with this, learn how!
- Go “au natural” in your decorating. While ruby red may be your favorite color, it isn’t neutral and won’t appeal to the masses. Consult with your Realtor and Professional Organizer on colors that will enhance the features of your property. Painting your interior will create a great return on your investment resulting in more money in your pocket with a closed sale!
- Price it right. The most important aspects in selling your property are location, condition, and price. While you can’t change the location of your house, you just hit a home run in the condition category by following the advice above. Don’t stop short now by over-pricing your property! Your Realtor will make a recommendation of price based on recent market conditions and trust they are looking out for your best interest. Remember, it is always best to be on the offense rather than relying on the defense when the game is on the line.
By following these top 5 tips for selling your property fast and for top dollar, you are sure to come out victorious in the Richmond VA real estate game!
Shannon Milligan is a multi-million dollar top producing Realtor at the RVA Home Team with Long & Foster Realtors. While passionately pursuing excellence in her real estate career, Shannon is also a wife, mother of twins, and the den mother to two dogs and a cranky cat. You may reach Shannon at: