Tips for Getting your Closet Organized
- Get rid of worn, outdated or wrong-sized clothes – Sort through all of your clothes and toss any that are torn or worn out. Donate the ones that are just not your style any more or no longer fit (don’t save them thinking you will wear them again when you lose 20 lbs – you won’t – you will buy new clothes to celebrate).
- Get a hamper – Instead of throwing your dirty clothes on the floor or hanging them on the exercise machine put them in a hamper.
- Organize your clothes in 3 ways (I know it sounds like a lot but once you do it you will see just how easy it is to get dressed in the morning):
- Organize clothes by occasion – formal or dressy (work clothes) and casual (play clothes)
- Then hang by type – for tops start with sleeveless and short sleeve shirts, long sleeve and then finally sweaters, vests and jackets. For bottoms group spring & summer pants & skirts; then fall/winter pants. Dresses & suits round out the mix.
- Finally sort colors by color for easy mixing & matching – start with the color white, then red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet, brown, gray and finally black.
- Get shoes off of the floor – install a shoe rack under your hanging space; just make sure it is NOT one with sloping shelves (shoes always slip off and then you are back to a messy pile of shoes).
- Hang your purses, scarves & belts – use wall space behind the door or on the back of your door to install a purse hanger (check out my favorite: The Handy Hold All Handbag Holder by Simply Sarah Shaw) or hooks.