Our Prescription for an Organized Medicine Cabinet
It’s amazing how such a small space can get so disorganized, but such is the case with a lot of medicine cabinets. It’s so easy to just keep adding things till one day the door doesn’t close. If you find yourself in this situation, take a few minutes (literally it should take less than 20 minutes for the average cabinet) and get it organized!
There are three reasons cleaning and organizing your medicine cabinet on a regular basis is important. One. In an emergency, you’ll be able to quickly find first aide items. Two. Keeping expired medications around could harm someone. Three. Let’s not forget, the occasional peek by a nosy guest! So, follow these steps and you’ll have an organized medicine cabinet in no time…
- REMOVE & SORT. Take everything out of the medicine cabinet and place them in like piles – Rx’s, over the counter medicines, makeup, first aid, toiletries, etc.
- TOSS. Get rid of any expired prescriptions or nonprescription medications, old antibiotics, rusty or dull razors or makeup that you just don’t use any more. Click here to learn the safest way to part with medicines.
- TAKE INVENTORY. Look through your medications. Use this CHECKLIST to make sure you have the medical staples you need for common injuries or illnesses. Take note of any medications that you don’t have or that you’ve had to toss out and make sure you replace.
- PLAN & CONTAINERIZE. Make sure the shelves in your medicine cabinet are the right height, to maximize your storage space. And invest in storage bins that are specifically design for narrow medicine cabinets. It will make maintaining organization so easy! Make sure you strategically place the items that you use the most in the front, so you don’t have to move everything around and reorganize every time you need something. And, strive to have some empty space for future purchases.
- LABEL. Whether you use a label maker, masking tape & a sharpie or tape & a post-it note, take a few minutes and label the shelves and containers. It will ensure that things get back in the right place every time!
Follow these easy steps and you will have the right prescription for an organized medicine cabinet!